- Abdul Kadir, N. B., & Desa, A. (2013). Preliminary data on abuse during childhood among female university students. Asia Pacific Journal of Social Work and Development, 23, 299–314. 10.1080/02185385.2013.826903 [CrossRef]
- Abdul Kadir, N. B., Rahim, S. A., Mustapha, Z., Abdul Mutalib, M. H., Kee, C. P., & Mohamed, R. H. (2012). External assets as predictors of positive emotions among at‐risk youth in Malaysia. Asian Social Work and Policy Review, 6, 203–217. [CrossRef]
- Anwar, M., Sulaiman, S. A. S., Ahmadi, K., & Khan, T. M. (2010). Awareness of school students on sexually transmitted infections (STIs) and their sexual behavior: A cross-sectional study conducted in Pulau Pinang, Malaysia. BMC Public Health, 10(1), 47. [CrossRef]
- Arnett, J. J. (1999). Adolescent storm and stress, reconsidered. American Psychologist, 54, 317–326. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.54.5.317 [CrossRef]
- Baharudin, R., Krauss, S. E., Yaacob, S. N., & Pei, T. J. (2011). Family processes as predictors of antisocial behaviors among adolescents from urban, single-mother Malay families in Malaysia. Journal of Comparative Family Studies, 42, 509–522.
- Benard, B. (1995). Fostering resilience in children. ERIC Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood Education, University of Illinois.
- Benard, B. (2004). Resiliency: What have we learned? San Francisco: WestEd.
- Bronfenbrenner, U. (1979). The ecology of human development: Experiments by nature and design. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Brooks, J. (2006). Strengthening resilience in children and youths: Maximizing opportunities through the schools. Children and Schools, 28, 69–76. [CrossRef]
- Cicchetti, D., & Manly, J. (2001). Operationalizing child maltreatment: Developmental processes and outcomes. Development and Psychopathology, 13, 755–757.
- Curriculum Development Centre (1989). Integrated curriculum for secondary schools. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: Minister of Education (p. 126–27).
- Choo, W. Y., Dunne, M. P., Marret, M. J., Fleming, M., & Wong, Y. L. (2011). Victimization experiences of adolescents in Malaysia. Journal of Adolescent Health, 49, 627–634. doi:10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.04.020 [CrossRef]
- Department of Statistics Malaysia (2010). Statistics handbook Malaysia, 2010. Kuala Lumpur: Department of Statistics.
- Doll, B., Jones, K., Osborn, A., Dooley, K., & Turner, A. (2011). The promise and the caution of resilience models for schools. Psychology in the Schools, 48, 652–659. [CrossRef]
- Durlak, J. A. (1998). Common risk and protective factors in successful prevention programs. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 68, 512–520. doi:10.1037/h0080360 [CrossRef]
- Eccles, J. S., Midgley, C., Wigfield, A., Buchanan, C. M., Reuman, D., Flanagan, C., & Mac Iver, D. (1993). Development during adolescence: The impact of stage-environment fit on young adolescents’ experiences in schools and in families. American Psychologist, 48, 90–101. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.48.2.90 [CrossRef]
- Esquivel, G. B., Doll, B., & Oades-Sese, G. V. (2011). Introduction to the special issue: Resilience in schools. Psychology in the Schools, 48, 649–651. doi:10.1002/pits.20585 [CrossRef]
- Flouri, E., Tzavidis, N., & Kallis, C. (2010). Adverse life events, area socioeconomic disadvantage, and psychopathology and resilience in young children: The importance of risk factors accumulation and protective factors’ specificity. European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 19, 535–546. doi:10.1007/s00787-009-0068-x [CrossRef]
- Ghani, S. A., Zamani, Z. A., Rahman, R. M. A., Zainal, A. H., & Sulaiman, W. S. W. (2008). Family functioning and its relation with self-esteem among drug addicts. Jurnal Antidadah Malaysia, 3, 91–106.
- Gordon, E. W., & Song, L. D. (1994). Variations in the experience of resilience. In Wang, M. C., & Gordon, E. W. (Eds.), Educational resilience in inner-city America: Challenges and prospects (pp. 27–43). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Grotberg, E. H. (1995). A guide to promoting resilience in children: Strengthening the human spirit. The Hague, The Netherlands: Bernard van leer foundation.
- Hamzah, A. (2007). Situation of girls and young women in Malaysia. Malaysian Youth Report, 2007. Kuala Lumpur: Ministry of Youth and Sport.
- Hanewald, R. (2011). Reviewing the literature on “at-risk” and resilient children and young people. Australian Journal of Teacher Education, 36, 16–29. [CrossRef]
- Hashim, I. H. M. (2007). Stress, coping and social supports in the adolescent years. Kajian Malaysia, 25(1), 97–115.
- Kasim, M. S., Shafie, H. M., & Cheah, I. (1994). Social factors in relation to physical abuse in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Child Abuse & Neglect, 18, 401–407. [CrossRef]
- Kassim, K., & Kasim, M. S. (1995). Child sexual abuse: Psychosocial aspects of 101 cases seen in an urban Malaysian setting. Child Abuse & Neglect, 19, 793–799. [CrossRef]
- Lansford, J., Dodge, K., Pettit, G., Bates, J., Crozier, J., & Kaplow, J. (2002). A 12-year prospective study of the long-term effects of early child physical maltreatment on psychological, behavioral, and academic problems in adolescence. Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, 156, 824–83 [CrossRef]
- Lee, L. K., Chen, P. C., Lee, K. K., & Kaur, J. (2006). Premarital sexual intercourse among adolescents in Malaysia: A cross-sectional Malaysian school survey. Singapore Medical Journal, 47, 476–481.
- Lee, T., Kwong, W., Cheung, C., Ungar, M., & Cheung, M. Y. L. (2010). Children’s resilience-related beliefs as predictor of positive child development in the face of adversities: Implications for interventions to enhance children’s quality of life. Social Indicator Research, 95, 437–453. doi:10.1007/s11205-009-9530-x [CrossRef]
- Low, W. Y., Ng, C. J., Fadzil, K. S., & Ang, E. S. (2007). Sexual issues: Let’s hear it from the Malaysian boys. The Journal of Men’s Health & Gender, 4, 283–291. [CrossRef]
- Low, W. Y., Zulkifli, S. N., Yusof, K., Batumalail, S., & Aye, K. W. (1996). The drug abuse problem in Peninsular Malaysia: Parent and child differences in knowledge, attitudes and perceptions. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 42, 105–115. [CrossRef]
- Martin, A. J., & Marsh, H. W. (2006). Academic resilience and its psychological and educational correlates: A construct validity approach. Psychology in the Schools, 43, 267–281. doi:10.1002/pits [CrossRef]
- Masten, A. S. (2001). Ordinary magic: Resilience processes in development. American Psychologist, 56, 227–238. [CrossRef]
- Masten, A. S., Best, K. M., & Garmezy, N. (1990). Resilience and development: Contributions from the study of children who overcome adversity. Development and Psychopathology, 2, 425–444. [CrossRef]
- Mey, S. C. (2010). Psychological profile of adolescents in Malaysia. The International Journal of Educational and Psychological Assessment, 4, 77–96.
- Miller, M. (2002). Resilience elements in students with learning disabilities. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 58, 291–298. doi:10.1002/jclp.10018 [CrossRef]
- Morales, E. E. (2008). The resilient mind: The psychology of academic resilience. The Educational Forum, 72, 152–167. doi:10.1080/00131720701805017 [CrossRef]
- Nasir, R., Zamani, Z. A., Yusooff, F., & Khairudin, R. (2010). Cognitive distortion and depression among juvenile delinquents in Malaysia. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 5, 272–276. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.07.087 [CrossRef]
- Nik Farid, N. D., Che’Rus, S., Dahlui, M., & Al-Sadat, N. (2013). Determinants of sexual intercourse initiation among incarcerated adolescents: a mixed-method study. Singapore Medical Journal, 54, 695–701. doi:10.11622/smedj.2013244 [CrossRef]
- Pereda, N., Guilera, G., Forns, M., & Gómez-Benito, J. (2009). The prevalence of child sexual abuse in community and student samples: A meta-analysis. Clinical Psychology Review, 29, 328–338. doi:10.1016/j.cpr.2009.02.007 [CrossRef]
- Russo, R., & Boman, P. (2007). Primary school teachers’ ability to recognise resilience in their students. The Australian Educational Researcher, 34, 17–33. [CrossRef]
- Rutter, M. (1987). Psychosocial resilience and protective mechanisms. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 57, 316–31. doi:10.1111/j.1939-0025.1987.tb03541.x [CrossRef]
- Singh, H. S., Yiing, W. W., & Nurani, H. N. K. (1996). Prevalence of childhood sexual abuse among Malaysian paramedical students. Child Abuse and Neglect, 20, 487–492. [CrossRef]
- Talib, J., Mamat, M., Ibrahim, M., & Mohamad, Z. (2012). Analysis on sex education in schools across Malaysia. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences, 59, 340–348. [CrossRef]
- Tan, P. S., Tohid, H., Su, X. V., Tan, K. T. M., Azimah, M. N., & Khairani, O. (2012). A study of pregnant adolescents residing in a government home: Common characteristics and their views on the pregnancy. Malaysian Family Physician, 7(1), 11–15.
- UNICEF (2010). Malaysia Statistics. Retrieved from http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/malaysia_statistics.html#96.
- Von Soest, T., Mossige, S., Stefansen, K., & Hjemdal, O. (2010). Avalidation study of the resilience scale for adolescents (READ). Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 32, 215–225. doi:10.1007/s10862-009-9149-x [CrossRef]
- Wang, M. C., Haertel, G. D., & Walberg, H. J. (1994). Educational resilience in inner cities. In Wang, M. C. & Gordon, E. W. (Eds.), Educational resilience in inner-city America: Challenges and prospects (pp. 45–72). Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum.
- Wang, M.C., Haertel, G. D., & Walberg, H. J. (1999). Psychological and educational resilience. In Reynolds, A. J., Walberg, H. J., & Weissberg, R. P. (Eds.), Promoting positive outcomes: Issues in children’s and families’ lives (pp.329–366). Washington, DC: CWLA Press.
- Weatherley, R., Siti Hajar, A. B., Noralina, O., John, M., Preusser, N., & Yong, M. (2012). Evaluation of a school-based sexual abuse prevention curriculum in Malaysia. Children and Youth Services Review, 34(1), 119-125. doi:10.1016/j.childyouth.2011.09.009 [CrossRef]
- Werner, E. E. (1993). Risk, resilience, and recovery. Perspectives from the Kauai longitudinal study. Development and Psychopathology 5, 503–515. [CrossRef]
- Werner, E. E., & Smith, R. S. (1992). Overcoming the odds: High-risk children from birth to adulthood. Ithaca, New York: Cornell University Press.
- WestEd. (2002). Resilience and youth development module: Aggregated California data fall 1999 to spring 2002. Los Alamitos, CA: Author.
- Willms, J. D. (2002). Vulnerable Children. Findings from Canada’s national longitudinal survey of children and youth. The University of Alberta Press, Alberta, Canada
- Zimmerman, M. A., & Arunkumar, R. (1994). Resiliency research: Implications for schools and policy. Social Policy Report, 8, 1–17.
- Zulkifli, S. N., & Low, W. Y. (2000). Sexual practices in Malaysia: Determinants of sexual intercourse among unmarried youths. Journal of Adolescent Health, 27, 276–280. [CrossRef]
SHS Web of Conferences
Volume 23, 2016PSU-USM-NSTRU 2014 International Conference on Arts and Sciences 2014 “Arts and Sciences Research 2014: Spot of Change for Tomorrow”
|Number of page(s)||9|
|Published online||06 January 2016|