- Adams, F., & Waghid, Y., In defence of deliberative democracy: Challenging less democratic school governing body practices. South African Journal of Education, 25(1): 25–33. (2005)
- Alsbury, T. L., & Whitaker, K.S. Superintendent perspectives and practices of accountability, democratic voice and social justice. Journal of Educational Administration, 45(2): 154–174. (2006) [CrossRef]
- Applebaum, B. Social justice, democratic education and the silencing of words that wound. Journal of Moral Education, 32(2): 151–162 (2003) [CrossRef]
- Aydin, I., & Karaman-Kepenekci, Y. Principals’ Opinions of organisational justice in elementary schools in Turkey. Journal of Educational Administration, 46(4): 497–513. (2008) [CrossRef]
- Bogotch, I. E. Educational leadership and social justice: Practice into theory. Journal of School Leadership, 12(2): 138–156. (2002)
- Brown, K. “New” education injustices in the “new” South Africa. Journal of Educational Administration, 44(5): 509-519 (2006) [CrossRef]
- Cambron-McCabe, N., & McCathy, M. Educating school leaders for social justice. Education Policy, 1(19): 201–222 (2005) [CrossRef]
- Carlise, L. R., Jackson, B.W., & George, A., Principles of social justice education: The social leadership. In Marshall, C. & Olivia, M. (Eds). Leadership for social justice: Making revolutions in education. Boston: Pearson. (p. 16-30) (2006)
- Chiu, M. M., & Walker, A., Leadership for social justice in Hong Kong schools: Addressing mechanisms of inequality. Journal of Educational Administration, 45(6): 724–739 (2007) [CrossRef]
- Chubbuck, S. M., Individual and structural orientation in socially just teaching: Conceptualization, implementation, and collaborative effort. Journal of Teacher Education, 61(3): 197–210 (2010) [CrossRef]
- Creswell, J. W., Qualitative inquiry and research design: choosing among five approaches (2nd Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. (2007).
- Creswell, J.W., Research design: Qualitative & quantitative, and mixed approaches. (3rd Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage., (2009).
- Dantley, M., & Tilman, L., Social justice and moral transformative leadership. In Marshall, C. & Olivia, M. (Eds). Leadership for social justice: Making revolutions happen (2006)
- De Wet, T., Patel, L., Korth, M., & Forrester, C. Johannesburg Poverty and Livelihood Study. Johannesburg: CSDA Report (2008)
- Elmore, R.F., Bridging the gap between standards and achievement: The imperative for professional development in education. Washington, DC: Albert Shanker Institute (2002)
- Furman, G.C., & Shields, C.M., How can educational leaders promote and support social justice and democratic community in schools? Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, 9–12 April (2003).
- Gallie, M., Sayed, Y., & Williams, H., Transforming educational management in South Africa. Journal of Negro Education, 66(4): 460–467 (1997). [CrossRef]
- Goldfarb, K.P., & Grinberg, J., Leadership for social justice in education: Authentic participation in the case of a community centre in Caracas, Venezuela. Journal of School Leadership, 12: 157–173 (2002)
- Haycock, K., Closing the achievement gap. Educational Leadership, 58(6): 6–11 (2001)
- Haystek, J. School Governing Bodies – the principal’s burden or the light of his or her life? South African Journal of Education, 24(4): 308-312 (2004)
- Hoy, W.K., & Tarter, C.J. Organisational justice in schools: No justice without trust. International Journal of Educational Management, 8(4): 250–259 (2004)
- Hytten, K., & Bettez, S.C. Understanding education for social justice. Educational Foundations, Winter-Spring: 7–24 (2011)
- Johnson Fua, S. Looking towards the source – social justice and leadership conceptualisations from Tonga. Journal of Educational Administration, 45(6): 672–683 (2007) [CrossRef]
- Larson, C., & Murtadha, K. Leadership for social justice, in Murphy, J. (Ed.). The Educational Leadership Challenge: Redefining Leadership for the 21st Century, University of Chicago Press: Chicago, IL. (p. 134–161) (2002)
- Lee, S.S., & McKerrow, K. (2005). Advancing social justice: Women’s work. Advancing Women in Leadership, 19: 1–2.
- Leithwood, K.A., & Riehl, C. “What do we already know about successful school leadership?” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL, 2003 April 22. (2003)
- Lichtman, M. Qualitative Research in Education: A user’s guide. (3rd Ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage (2013)
- Mafora, P. Shared decision-making in School Governance: A Case Study of Two Soweto Secondary Schools. The International Journal of Learning, 18(6): 97–107 (2012)
- Mafora, P. When devolved power is recentralised: The adulteration of deliberative democracy in School Governing Bodies. Journal of Social Sciences, 34(2): 97–104 (2013)
- Mangena, M., Demobilised education parenting. Azapo e reng? March 06 (2012)
- McMillan, J.H., & Schumacher, S., Research in Education: Evidence-based Inquiry. (7th Ed.). New Jersey: Pearson Education. (2010)
- Mncube, V.S. Democratisation of education in South Africa: Issues of social justice and the voice of learners. South African Journal of Education, 28(1): 77–90, (2008)
- Mokonyane, N., Address by the Premier at the Soweto Education Summit, Johannesburg, 09 April 2011. Available at http://www.polity.org.za/article/gpmokonyane, (2011)
- Normore, A.H., & Jean-Marie, G. Female secondary school leaders: At the helm of social justice, democratic schooling and equality. Leadership and Organisational Development Journal, 29(2): 182–205 (2008) [CrossRef]
- Pandor, N. (2006). Speech by Minister of Education, Naledi Pandor, MP, at the SADTU Conference, Johannesburg, 2006 September 01.
- Republic of South Africa, 1996. The South African Schools Act, No. 84 of 1996. Pretoria: Government Printers.
- Riehl, C.J. (2000). The principal’s role in creating inclusive schools for diverse students: A view from a normative, empirical, and critical literature on the practice of educational administration. Review of Educational Research, 70: 55–81. [CrossRef]
- Saunders, M., Lewis, P. & Thornhill, A. (2000). Research Methods for Business Students. (2nd Ed.). Essex: Pearson Education.
- Shields, C. M. (2009). Courageous leadership for transforming schools: Democratising practice. Norwood, MA: Christopher-Gordon.
- Starratt, R. J., (2004). Ethical Leadership, San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.
- Stevenson, H. P., (2007). A case study in leading schools for social justice: when morals and markets collide. Journal of Educational Administration, 45(6): 769–781. [CrossRef]
- Theoharis, G. (2007). Social Justice educational leaders and resistance: Towards a theory of social justice leadership. Educational Administration Quarterly, 43(2): 221–258. [CrossRef]
- Theoharis, G. (2010). Disrupting injustice: Principals narrate the strategies they use to improve their schools and advance social justice. Teachers’ College Record, 112(1): 331–37
SHS Web of Conferences
Volume 26, 2016ERPA International Congresses on Education 2015 (ERPA 2015)
|Number of page(s)||10|
|Published online||26 April 2016|