SHS Web Conf.
Volume 42, 2018Global Conference on Teaching, Assessment, and Learning in Education (GC-TALE 2017)
|Number of page(s)||6|
|Published online||29 January 2018|
English for Tour Guide: A Need Analysis of a Contextual-Based Language Teaching
English Education Department, Universitas Pendidikan Ganesha, 81116 Singaraja-Bali, Indonesia
2 English Department, Universitas Pendidikan Ganesha, 81116 Singaraja-Bali, Indonesia
3 Hospitality Department, Universitas Pendidikan Ganesha, 81116 Singaraja-Bali, Indonesia
* Corresponding author: firstname.lastname@example.org
This paper reports the results of need analysis of English for Specific Purposes (ESP) for local tour guides in two villages in Buleleng regency. This research is a descriptive qualitative study involving 56 tour guides, in which 30 were based in Ambengan village and 26 others were posted in Sambangan village. There were three instruments applied to obtain the research data such as observation sheet, questionnaire, and interview guide. Findings from the observation showed that the two villages had waterfalls and terraced rice fields as the main potencies. Additionally, the questionnaire specifying the target need showed that both groups had low speaking skill (56.05%) even the rest of them (43.95%) understood English, but was not able to speak English at all. Furthermore, they all required oral English, speaking (69%) and listening (24.5%). Seen from learning need, they demanded conversation (90.5%) as the most important learning experience. The results from interview proved that 92.5% local guides had no academic background in English. From those findings, it can be summed up that they need contextual-based English learning to accomplish their jobs in a more professional way through non formal education.
Key words: contextual-based language learning / English for Specific Purposes / need analysis / tour guide
© The Authors, published by EDP Sciences, 2018
This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License 4.0, which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited. (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Current usage metrics show cumulative count of Article Views (full-text article views including HTML views, PDF and ePub downloads, according to the available data) and Abstracts Views on Vision4Press platform.
Data correspond to usage on the plateform after 2015. The current usage metrics is available 48-96 hours after online publication and is updated daily on week days.
Initial download of the metrics may take a while.